Friday, July 6, 2007

4th of July 2007

What a humbling day. As we sat safely enjoying picnics, friends, family, and fireworks so many are overseas cringing at the sound of never-ending explosives. Tuesday night Derek went to see Tool (he was ecstatic over the 5th row seating... thanks to our friend and neighbor, Marty!) and I relaxed at home with the windows open (the weather was so nice and cool). The sound of booms and bangs from fireworks was unrelenting which is what made me think how horrible it must be to lay in bed night after night in the middle of a war zone listening to this noise. I suppose you become numb to it, but I'm sure you never get used to it. The sound of booms and bangs here at home is a reminder of how lucky we are to live in the United States and what a gift each of our soldiers are... willing to leave the safety of home... their family and friends in order to defend our country. Thank you!

On another note, Derek and I had a great 4th of July. We hung out with one of my best childhood friends, Cydney, her husband Todd and their two girls, Holly and Nicole. They went all out... big blow up slides and a bounce house. Professionally smoked ribs, more food than could be eaten and soooooooo much laughter! We shared teenage stories with her dad that he would have probably been happier not hearing, but I laughed so hard I cried. Cyd and I have some great memories! A great end to the evening was watching a great firework display at my Aunt Diane's house. It was her birthday, too! What an entertaining family I have! Much love to you all!

No comments: