Friday, July 11, 2008

Mel is gone!

It's been a while since I announced Mel was moving. It took a few months to get things in order, rent out his house, etc., before he was able to actually move. Well, he's gone! We knew the day was coming, but were not sure exactly when it would be. On the 4th of July as Derek and I were reviewing the evening's firework schedule Derek received a phone call from Mel.

"What are you doing?" Mel asked.
"Getting ready to go watch fireworks." Derek replied.
"Well, Val and I are leaving tomorrow. We're meeting Terri, Kevin, and our parents at Kennedy's about 8:00 if you want to come."
"Really? Okay. See you later." Derek said.
Derek hangs up phone.

**Now I didn't actually hear this conversation... just Derek's replies, so I didn't know exactly what was going on yet."**

"What's going on?" I asked Derek.
"We're going to Kennedy's tonight to meet Mel and Val."
"What about the fireworks?" I somewhat whined. (We've made a tradition of going to see the fireworks @ Clintonwood Park the last several years and we were supposed to go to my Aunt's house to see fireworks afterward).
"Mel and Val are leaving tomorrow. If you want to see Mel before he goes we're going to Kennedy's tonight." Derek told me.

Okay. Enough said I thought.
I couldn't have asked for a more fun "last" night together with Mel and Val. We drank and talked. We LAUGHED and reminisced. We promised to visit and they promised to come back often. Val did mention that the move may not be forever. They will see how they like it in Asheville (unfortunately... they LOVE it so far... just kidding... I am super happy for them!) and how work goes (so far, it's going very well!) and how the economy goes. The best news is they both are simply happy! You can see it in their eyes. It's so great to witness such happiness is a world where their is so much unhappiness right now. Anyway, we left giving big hugs and I love yous...

As Derek and I drove away Derek said, "Well, he's really gone." It HIT me. Out of no where a huge crocodile tear burst from my eye and rolled down my cheek. Definitely mixed emotions... but I did smile as tears kept flowing. Our next vacation?... Asheville, I assume. :)

1 comment:

Errica said...

Wow, Michigan will not be the same without him.