Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grandma!

Today would have been my grandma's 78th birthday. Unfortunately, she passed away on 11-04-96, two months before my wedding. She fought a hard battle with breast cancer for many years, but ignored it initially. Had she sought medical attention when she first suspected she had this horrible disease she may still be alive today. She was only 65, a month shy of her 66th birthday, when she died. Tonight at dinner Derek, myself, and David were having a conversation with my nephew. He questioned my brother on the amount of time they may spend up north at my parents' house over Christmas break. He wasn't complaining about seeing my parents, his grandparents, just the amount of time he would be away from "his" life. "What I wouldn't give to spend several days hanging with my grandma, " I commented to him, Derek, and David. Having forgotten today was her birthday, it wasn't until I sat down at the computer and was reminded of the date that I put this comment with the significance of today together.I spent a lot of time with my grandma as a child and early teen! She treated me like a princess and dressed me like one, too. What I wouldn't give for one more day... I'd ask so many questions including where she and my grandpa were going in this picture!

No comments: