Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20th brings President Obama

For the first time in months, maybe years, I heard hope in peoples' voices and saw hope in their eyes as I watched today's presidential inauguration of Barack H. Obama. I have to be truthful and say that I wasn't a part of the hype and excitement of the office change. Up to today, I felt Obama was overrated and too much faith was being put into one man. It has driven me crazy that soooo many people in this world, especially the media, have put so much emphasis on the fact that he is black (bi-racial, really). Why isn't the focus on his credentials?? On his life accomplishments beyond that of being a black man? I strongly believe that focusing on his race is rude and disrespectful to a man that has so much more to "him" than his skin color. I did not vote for Obama, but strongly believe the focus should be on his successes... an author...a graduate of Harvard Law School... a law professor... a well respected Senator... I understand the celebration if you are black... as I would surely celebrate the election of a female... however, the fact that she were female would come very secondary to her creditionals, what brought her to office, and what she could do for our country. And I surely wouldn't expect, nor want, men to celebrate the fact that a "woman" were elected to office... I would want the celebration to focus on a well-educated, well-respected, outstanding leader ,who happens to be a woman, being elected to office. That said, watching the swearing in of our 44th president was a turning point for me in my hope for what he can do for this country. As I stated, I saw the hope in peoples' eyes and the excitement in their voices as they spoke about what today meant to them personally... both black and white. There was a renewed faith in our country and its state. I could almost feel the positive energy as I watched the millions of people gather outside of the Capitol. This has allowed me to have faith in our new president and truly hope that he can pull through for so many people that are depending on him!

On another note, on my way to work this morning I was listening to the Gayle King Show (devote Obama supporter!) on XM Radio. She shared a challenge that CNN had created that I was truly grateful for! CNN was encouraging all Americans to take a picture of exactly where they were today when Obama was sworn into office... a moment in history! You could then email it to CNN and the station will put together some sort of historical "scrapbook" of these pictures. I thought... holy cow! I need to do this... to document where I am and what I am doing when this very historical moment takes place... so I did! Thanks CNN for reminding me to capture this for my scrapbook... it will be awesome for future generations to see! So here I am... while President-elect Barack Obama is being sworn into office...*Picture taken by one of my students! I had a student from another class take a picture of me, with my students, in front of the TV during the swearing-in ceremony., too Don't want to post that one here, but it will be a great one for my scrapbook!

4 comments:

Heather Leigh said...

First of all Tina - KICK ASS POST!

Secondly - Jordyn points out ALL the time that he's biracial. It bothers her when people say we have a new BLACK president.

Thirdly - Thank you for reminding me to take my Project 365 picture for today. I couldn't watch it live but saw the replay on the internet. And I'm going to take a picture of the computer screen for today's picture.

And Lastly - Even though you didn't vote for him, I'll still be your friend. :oD

Heather Leigh said...

one more thing....i love it that there's a clock above the tv to capture the fact that this truly is an "as it happened" photo.

Lori said...

I did exactly the same thing! I took pictures while we were watching the Inauguration, of course I am not in any of them being that I was taking the pictures. lol. Me, Eduardo and Lorenzo were at home watching on TV, and Keanu got to watch it at school. (Which I am thankful for because I wasn't sure if the schools were going to do this)Good post which pinpoints my beliefs as well on the whole situation. All I can say now is that he is our president and therefore as Americans, we should support him as such. HOWEVER~I sure hope he can accomplish what his initial followers have put so much faith into him to do. How many presidents have actually DONE what they claim they will do. Loved the part of his speech about people remembering you by what you build, not what you destroy.

Anonymous said...

Very well said!!