Monday, January 5, 2009

This is my kind of working out...

Two days?!?!? I posted about this back in December and signed up for it... I'm going to commit if this type of workout guarantees I'll be ready for a half-marathon is 16 weeks!

Half-Marathon Walk/Run: Week 1

Get started on your first week of training to walk/run the half-marathon.
By Alyssa Shaffer

Plan developed by Mindy Solkin, owner and head coach of The Running Center in New York City.

This week, you'll do two days of a combination of walking and running to help build your endurance. For the walking portion, go at a comfortable intensity (about a 50 percent effort level, similar to what you might do if you were walking in a mall or on the street). For the running portion, go at about a 60 percent effort level: You could sing the National Anthem while slightly breathless. Use at least two of your off days to do some strength training.

Your Workout

Total time: 24 minutes (4 walk/run intervals: walk for a total of 20 minutes, run for a total of 4 minutes)
Total distance: About 1.5 miles (about 1/3 mile running)

Walk: 5 minutes (50% intensity, or about a 17:00/mile pace)
Run: 1 minute (60% intensity, or about a 12:30/mile pace)
Walk: 5 minutes
Run: 1 minute
Walk: 5 minutes
Run: 1 minute
Walk: 5 minutes
Run: 1 minute

Week 1 Training Calendar

Distance walked/run this week: 2.8 miles

Monday Off
Tuesday Walk/Run 24 minutes
Wednesday Off
Thursday Off
Friday Off
Saturday Walk/Run 24 minutes
Sunday Off


7 comments:

~Amy said...

Not bad !!! Wonder what week 10 looks like !!

xxxxx said...

No shit... a little worried!

Lori said...

Good Luck!

Kim said...

I got the email too! I already run 5 miles 3 times a week so not sure where to start???

xxxxx said...

Show off, Kim!

LOL! You go girl... do the marathon training!! Hopefully, I'll catch up with you (pun intended!)!:)

Jennifer Katherine said...

Wow...good for you! Thanks so much for adding Elegant Journey to you blog list :) I love meeting new friends.

xxxxx said...

First day, DOWN! Nothing to it! ;)