Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hugs to Our Soldiers!

Three years ago the students and families from my school donated food and toiletry items to send to the troops in Iraq. If I remember correctly, we mailed 70+ copy paper boxes FULL (actually STUFFED) boxes to random soldiers through http://www.anysoldier.com/. We included notes from our students and I included a personal letter from myself. The package with my letter when to a Chaplain soldier named Dave (he is also a commanding officer, but I'm not sure of his exact title and do not want to embarrass myself, nor insult him by guessing). Dave wrote a nice note back to me three years ago and put me on his email address that updates his "fans" as to his whereabouts and war happenings. This year, right after Christmas, I received a Christmas card and personal letter from Dave with words of cheer and positive remarks regarding his status. I shared the note with several of my colleagues (who had participated three years ago, too!). Our Student Council students decided to gift our "forgotten" soldiers with more food and toiletries, so they started a collection. Unfortunately, this year we were only able to send 5 stuffed boxes to our favorite soldier, Dave, but at least it was something to show we care. I emailed him to tell him to watch for the packages and to accept our humble gratitude for all he and his "men" are doing in the name of democracy. This is the email I received back... it brought tears, hope, a smile, and gratefulness to me as I read it. I hope it does the same for you.

Mrs Davis,

Thank you so much for the email and for the package coming. I am grateful. I will happily share any and everything that you see fit to send. My guys are a great bunch of fellas' and I love them dearly. We have a good relationship. I am in an infantry unit, so my guys are the ones "making it happen" so to speak. They are the, for lack of better words "rough guys" of the army. Being deployed seems to amplify it with some of these great men.

It's always nice to hear from a former supporter. Once again, thank you for the awesome support!! Just your thoughts and prayers are more than I could ask!! Much beyond that is icing on the cake!

I go on my two week leave period sometime in March. Oh how I am ready for that. This has been a good tour though. Few injuries and only two deaths at this time. To which I say "Praise the Lord!!" I know it could be much worse. Regardless of what the news shows, our progress over here has been phenomenal!! We are getting closer and closer to finishing up this war. The Iraqi army and Iraqi police are really stepping up to the plate and working hard. We are just waiting in the shadows in the event something bad goes wrong. It's certainly all part of the process of getting the job done and allowing Iraq to defend themselves once we are finished here.

Well, enough of that. I saw your blog page. Didn't have much time to visit it, but I checked your bio out and saw your cute pic. Must be nice to have cute teachers. When I was growing up, there may (MAY) have been one or two cute teachers!! Seems like today many of you teachers are cute. You don't look mean, old and crusty like the majority of my teachers. Don't forget, being cute doesn't mean you are not in charge. Make those children mind and follow the rules. They will thank you in the end for some of the lessons hard learned. That's what I remember most about my former teachers. The ones who made it hard for me. It wasn't to be rude, just to direct and guide a young boy!


Your favorite Soldier, Dave

3 comments:

Heather Leigh said...

aww - so sweet! thanks for sharing dave's perspective with us. Kev and I packed 3 boxes for soldiers on superbowl sunday with the desert angels organization. it was a good feeling to send something to the forgotten soldiers. may they all accomplish the mission and come home soon. :)

Heather Leigh said...

aww - so sweet! thanks for sharing dave's perspective with us. Kev and I packed 3 boxes for soldiers on superbowl sunday with the desert angels organization. it was a good feeling to send something to the forgotten soldiers. may they all accomplish the mission and come home soon. :)

Lori said...

Cool thing to do Sista!