Monday, December 10, 2007

Happy 77th Birthday, Grandma!

Today would have been my Grandma Prieto's 77th birthday. How I wish we could have celebrated with her today. She passed away from breast cancer just two months before Derek and I got married, which was devastating. I was very close to my Grandma growing up. I traveled with her and spent weeks on end at her house. In elementary schools I used to write "Tina Prieto" on my papers, which thoroughly confused my teachers. They assumed my parents were divorced, which was uncommon back then and wasn't discussed openly. I remember one of my teachers pulling me aside and quietly/secretly questioning my about the topic. Of course, I was a naive little thing and probably looked at her like she was nuts because I had no idea what divorce was. I simply replied, "No, it's my grandma and grandpa's name." She had no further questions for me because I don't think she knew how to respond to such an unorthodox situation (which it really wasn't... it was simply a little girl who loved her grandparents and their last name. LOL!).

1 comment:

Lori said...

I really miss her.