Friday, February 22, 2008

If you want a good laugh...

go to this blog and read the February 19, 2008 entry titled "Dear John letter to my fat ass." Totally funny and makes me want to write my own "Dear John" letter, but heck, it would say the exact same thing this does, so I may just plagiarise! LOL!

So, Derek and I did our usual Thursday date night at Mesquite last night. I love Thursday nights because of these dates. It allows us time to focus on each other and what is going on in each of our lives. We talk about world events, politics, our hopes and goals, and any other topic that comes us. Last night a big topic we talked about was the Stephen Grant sentencing. (If you aren't real familiar with the case go here.) I shared with Derek that as a "wife" it is alarming to continue to hear about these cases where the husbands just snapped one day and killed their wives and then tried to hide it by mutilating/hiding the body. Do these cases cause wives around American to look differently at their husbands? Should it? Derek did point out that these men were abusive in some form and were obviously sociopaths who showed signs of this prior to the murders. I thought for a moment.... and said, "You are right. I guess you are off the hook, " with a chuckle. We concluded this conversation with a new friend we met @ Mesquite several weeks ago that happened to be there last night. A beautiful woman going through a divorce after 28 years of marriage. I don't know the story (yet!), but she is a stunning woman who seems so kind and down to earth. Anyway, she was with one of her girlfriends with which she was going between private conversations with her and conversations with the four of us. At one point she leaned over (her girlfriend was sitting between us), tugged my sleeve to pull me in closer and proceeded to tell me what a sweet man Derek is, how she can tell he is a doting husband, and she can see the love in his eyes for me. Now, usually I deflect kind comments like that about Derek... not sure why... maybe the independent woman in me doesn't want others to think I rely to much on him, who knows, but I know this is not the way to respond to someone giving your husband or marriage such a kind compliment. This time I looked at her and said, "You think so?" She replied, "Yes, you are a lucky woman." I smiled, nodded, looked at oblivious Derek (he couldn't hear our conversation) and agreed, "Yes, he is a great guy. I am lucky." It felt good to acknowledge his strengths, because I don't do that often enough. Here's our most recent self-portrait taken last night @ Mesquite. I am pretty lucky that this guy loves me!

Continuing on the marriage topic another excerpt from my torn-out magazine pages:

6 Simple Truths About Marriage (from 101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married by Linda and Charlie Bloom)

  1. It is possible to love and hate someone at the same time.
  2. If you can't be happy without him, you won't be happy with him.
  3. It's better to focus on making things right than what went wrong.
  4. Good sex doesn't make a marriage great, but it helps.
  5. Being attracted to someone else doesn't diminish your marriage; acting on that attraction does.
  6. If your partner thinks something is important, it is!

{Good Stuff... we're going to the Boat Show tonight....someday we'll be the proud owner of a boat we can sleep on (I am still learning all of the boat terminology!).}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Dear Ass letter and totally agree, I think I will post at work since that is where I do the most damage.

Errica

Anonymous said...

Visited your blog on a link from two peas. Wow - your husband could pass for Russell Crowe's brother! lucky you!